Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years to support and regulate the reproductive system in a unique and safe way to enhance fertility. Studies have shown that acupuncture in conjunction with assisted fertility technologies such as IVF and IUI show no interference and also an INCREASE in the success of post transfer fertilization of up to 45%.
- Regulate menstrual cycle
- Decrease stress
- Regulate hormone levels
- Promote ovarian function
- Menstrual challenges (fibroids, PMS, pain, clotting)
- Increase verility
- Improve sperm count and motility
- Improve implantation results
- Decrease chances of miscarriage
Acupuncture offers a safe, effective and drug free treatment option during and after pregnancy. Traditional Chinese Medicine views pregnancy, childbirth and postnatal recovery as a window of opportunity to enhance a woman’s well being. Today this care is becoming increasingly popular and used by acupuncturists in conjunction with primary maternity care for conditions such as:
- Nausea during pregnancy
- Muscular – Skeletal Pain (Back Pain, Sciatica, Pubic Pain, Pelvic Pain)
- Breech and Posterior Babies
- Labor Preparation
Induction of Labor:
Acupuncture can provide a gentle inducement to labor if the baby is overdue and can be an effective alternative to a medical induction.
Treatment for other Pregnancy related concerns:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Sinus problems
- Tiredness and exhaustion
BIRTH & POST PARTUM
Labor preparation begins at 36 weeks and treatments are done once a week as supportive care to begin the process of a gentle transition into the onset of labor.
- Alleviate pain; back, hips, joint, sciatica
- Decrease anxiety and worry
- Support the correct position of the baby
- Encourage cervical ripening
- Support the body naturally in preparation for the birth
- Smooth, gentle transition into the birthing stage
- Improve sleep
Natural induction of labor:
Traditional Chinese Medicine uses acupuncture needling to prepare and encourage a mother’s body towards a natural labor. While it is ideal for a mother to have received acupuncture treatment throughout her pregnancy, a pregnant woman can benefit from labor preparation acupuncture with no prior treatment history. Typically 1-3 treatments are needed to ‘get things going,” A mother who is post-date should typically receive treatments every other day until labor begins. Of course, it is always encouraged to consult with a doctor or midwife before seeking induction assistance.
- No side effects
- Encourages a gentle transition into the birthing process
- Relaxing experience
Post Partum Care:
Acupuncture and Oriental medicine are effective, natural choices of care for post partum challenges to help each mother transition smoothly into her new role of parenting. With the supportive care given at Acupuncture and Wellness of The Palm Beaches, moms experience feeling refreshed, and rebalanced Naturally!
- Regain strength and vitality
- Breastfeeding challenges (insufficient lactation, mastitis)
- Wound healing (Post C-section)
- Decrease stress and worry
- Balance emotional challenges naturally (anxiety, fear, anger, post partum depression)
- Urinary incontinence
The biggest difference between the western and eastern approaches to menopause is that in Chinese medicine we do not have one governing diagnosis of ‘menopause’. It does not exist as a disease category. Instead we view it as a hormonal shift and treat the woman according to her symptoms separately. This allows the acupuncturist to treat a woman very specifically for her particular pattern of symptoms.
Some symptoms that are treated include:
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Weight gain
Through support of an individualized plan of treatment consisting of acupuncture, lifestyle modification, dietary changes and herbal/supplemental support one can achieve restored balance to your cycle. Consider scheduling regular monthly treatments.